Listen to Our Weekly Podcast
the African Union (AU)
Senior Science Officer CPHIA (AfCDC) at the African Union (AU)
Job Title: Senior Science Officer CPHIA (AfCDC) at the African Union (AU)
Requisition ID: 2043
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Director, Science Office
Directorate/Department/Organ: Africa CDC
Division: Science and innovation
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Fixed-Term
Purpose of Job
- The Senior Science Officer CPHIA assists and supports the process of devolving ethics review to the organization by participating in discussions on current practice and procedures, and assisting with the identification of and resolution of areas for improvement.
- Provide technical and intellectual support in the management of various elements related to the area of expertise.
- Identify best practices and monitor the effectiveness of the Science Office’s support to Africa CDC.
- Assist in the development of the strategies and business continuity plan and participate in/ensure their implementation.
- Foster and ensure the implementation of initiatives related to the area of specialization.
- Assist in the organization of thematic networks, consultations, and meetings on development cooperation and international relations.
- Develop materials and provide necessary training and support to Africa CDC’s Units as required.
- Provide technical guidance on matters relating to system review and implementation project in the area of specialization, as required.
- Establish ethical and technical frameworks and procedures underpinning the scientific activities of the agency, advising other agency leaders on integrating these frameworks.
- Provide advice on scientific quality assurance programs.
- Support the Director to initiate and coordinate scientific and technical research projects in collaboration with Member States and international partners through Africa RCCs.
- Provide advice to the Director to direct and evaluate the agency’s research and professional programs for the development of scientific personnel.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree with seven (7) and ten (10) years relevant work experience in Public Health, Medicine, Epidemiology, Health Science, Health-services Research, or related health discipline, out of which at least three (3) years should be at the expert level.
- PhD in any of the above or related field would be an added advantage.
- Professional work experience in research and development of a wide range of communication materials for the health and development sectors.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with a keen eye for detail, accuracy, and consistency.
- Strong knowledge of the subject matter, industry trends, and best practices.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Leadership and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Creativity and innovation, with the ability to generate new ideas and approaches.
- Strategic Insight
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationship
- Accountable and Complies with Rules
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Continuous Improvement Orientation
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a fixed-term contract for a period of one (1) year, with the first three (3) months considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance, and agreed deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese, and Spanish) is mandatory, and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 96,921.34 (P3 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 78,461.08 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Closing Date
1st December, 2023 (11h59 p.m. EAT)
- Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as Diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees, and any relevant certificates in line with the area of expertise.
- The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles, Somalia, and Tunisia.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.au.int.