Listen to Our Weekly Podcast
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital, and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs, and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: West Africa Regional Director
Requisition Number: DIREC003902
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Category: Operations
Reports to: Chief Program Officer
- The West Africa Regional Director (RD) oversees the design, development and implementation of our programs in the West Africa Region.
- The RD is responsible for ensuring a steady pipeline of new business opportunities through proactive relationship building with key donors, and the quality and compliance of all operations.
- The RD reports to the Chief Program Officer and serves as a member of TechnoServe’s global senior management team.
- The RD is expected to have significant management and international experience, a passion for economic development, relevant language skills, and be capable of thoroughly understanding and successfully leading program teams and operations across multiple countries.
- S/he is expected to be an outstanding communicator and team leader.
- Previous experience working with organizations of TechnoServe’s size and scope is important and private sector experience is highly desirable.
- The RD embodies TechnoServe’s values of Lasting Impact, Collaboration, Entrepreneurial and Accountability.
Strategy and Leadership:
- Oversee the design, development and implementation of programs across West Africa and drive strategy for the region as a whole
- Hold responsibility for West Africa $20M annual regional operating budget
- Support country and regional program directors to develop strategies, platforms and budgets
- Ensure country programs meet quality standards and integrate project monitoring, learning and evaluation into decision making and work planning
- Provide sound financial management and ensure contractual and donor compliance reporting
New Business Development:
- Generate regional new business, leveraging existing relationships and expanding the range of TechnoServe opportunities
- Support corporate new business efforts for current and new programs in the region and maintain donor relations
- Develop winning proposal strategies: organizing resources, contributing to or authoring proposals and negotiating agreements
- Recruit, retain, supervise and coach country directors and regional team members
- Enable cross-cutting learning, partnership and collaboration between teams
- Support and encourage knowledge sharing and professional development among staff
- Manage regional human resource matters in partnership with the global human resources team
- Represent TechnoServe to public and private donors of significance globally
- Support country directors in West Africa to effectively manage relationships with stakeholders such as local and district governments, donors, nonprofit organizations and others
- Represent the region internally, updating the Senior Management Team, Program Office and Board of Directors as appropriate of significant developments in the region
- A Bachelor’s Degree and preferably a post-graduate degree such as an MBA, MPP or MIA
- A minimum of ten years of leadership experience, preferably in strategy consulting, business, finance or international development
- A minimum of three years of work experience in one or more developing countries
- Fluency in English
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage multicultural and geographically dispersed teams in complex working environments
- Proven track record in successful business and program development design and authoring/overseeing winning proposals
- Strong foundation of knowledge in one or more of the following: economic growth, value chains, private sector, agriculture, entrepreneurship and/or SMEs
- French language skills preferred
- Up to 50% regionally and internationally
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- An effective and inspiring communicator and negotiator with strong oral and written skills
- Demonstrated passion for TechnoServe’s mission and a desire to work in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, retain and develop staff.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online